Tuesday 2 June 2015

Talking In Your Sleep....


"I hear the secrets that you keep when you're talking in your sleep..."

That line from an old punk song, Talking In Your Sleep by The Romantics played in my head as I walked past this guy sleeping on a ledge in the Hannam-dong sidewalk. I heard a faint murmur from him as I went past him. 

I tried to guess whether (a) he was talking about how many soju bottles he guzzled down last night, (b) he was cursing his drinking buddies for leaving him to sleep alone in the sidewalk, and (c) he was just blurting his wish out loud that he wanted another round of drinks when he finally wakes up.

Well, secrets do come out when we talk in our sleep, but I guess, it's a no secret in Korea to find a drunk guy sleeping on the sidewalk, in the subway, or even on a bus stop. I remember, a couple of years back, when my friend Maria first came to Seoul, she was welcomed by a drunk ajussi sleeping on an Itaewon bus stop. Fortunately, the ajussi wasn't talking in his sleep; he was just sleeping like a baby.

So, like this guy, do you also talk in your sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment