Thursday 12 March 2015

My Couple Of The Week: The Insadong Chestnut Vendors

To continue on with my 'person/s of the week' series, I feature this elderly couple at the Insadong area, next to the Anguk Station's Exit 6. 

Last year, I stayed at a B&B nearby to spend a weekend at the Jongno area as a tourist. Yes, after living in Seoul for many years, as an assignment from the Seoul City government, I booked a room, and shopped and dined in the area like a real tourist.  It was a different experience trying to pretend like a real tourist after having lived in the city and roamed this area on several occasions over the years.

On that 'tour', I discovered a chestnut vendor selling cooked chestnuts at that exit near Anguk Station. That time, he was selling alone. This time, on this weekend when I ventured around Insa-dong, I looked for that stall and saw that there was an elderly Korean lady helping him; I presumed she was his wife. And since I haven't tasted chestnuts since Christmas, I had to buy a small pouch worth KRW5,000 from them.

I wondered how many hours each day they have to stand there out in the cold to even make break-even. But today, I was just happy to contribute to their business. In return, I was able to enjoy chestnuts again since Christmas.

So, on your next visit to Insa-dong, do wander around Exit 6 of the Anguk Station and buy some cooked chestnuts from the couple; they're my couple of the week.

2 comments:

  1. My request to all residents of Korea.
    My Filipino wife Teresita D Gabriel (nick name Thesz) She has runaway from me for past 2 months 15 days. I have information from some unknown sources. first one month 20 days she had lived with Bangladeshi man Sojol. Then she reported to some Migrant shelter and start living with Filipino man Rosar ( everyone knows him as Myor ). Or living with a Filipino man. If you know anything or have any information about my wife, please inform me. Any information will be highly confidential.I will be grateful to the informer for all the life. If the informer want anyaward I will definitely do that. My mobile number : 01086913227/010644711.
    Thanks, Rauf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FB Name:Ding An's Ursua Macaso, name:Randy U Macaso CP:639993451792, He was in Korea 1 month before demanding that he knows where is my wife now. She is living with Roxan. He is asking rewards from me. I am ready to give him. But How could I trust him. I want to pay him thru any of you living in Korea. He will give you the address and you will give it to me. And other things I don't know either my wife wants to come back to me or want divorce! If she wants divorce I don't want to meet her. Because in that case she will pubically insult me.Rouf

    ReplyDelete