Saturday 1 November 2014

Dongdaemun Station's Bread And Breakfast!

I was excited the first time I discovered this interesting corner. My stumbling into this alley was just by accident; I never meant to be walking this way.

After my tennis at the Hannam-dong tennis courts this Saturday morning, I ran to the Dongdaemun bag market to look for a bag as a present for a friend who did me a big favor back in Manila. I roamed around the bag market and without any luck for me (and without any sleep for the vendors!) I left the building. Yes, the vendors didn't have a wink yet. The bag market at NPH building opens at midnight and closes at 1PM the next day.

From NPH building, I made my way to Seoul's Dongdaemun Station (not to be confused with the Dongdaemun Culture and History Station, okay?). That alley has always interested me. It has lots of mom-and-pop restaurants and shops, which I prefer to patronize over those big chain stores.

Right at the Exit 1 of the Dongdaemun Underground Shopping Center, there was an old Korean lady selling boiled corns, ttoek and a lot more. But what caught my eye was her huge boiled sweet potatoes! I had to buy!  I asked for two big ones which cost KRW5,000 for both; still warm and ready to eat! I used to enjoy these boiled kamotes in the Philippines by skinning them, slicing them and bathing them in condensed milk. Yummy!


(I bought sweet potatoes from this couple at the corner spot)

Not contented with the sweet kamote, I walked further and saw a vegetable shop, which was also selling ripe persimmons! For KRW 2,000, you'd get about dozen, very orange, succulent and sweet persimmons! At other vendors in Seoul, you'd only get six pieces for about KRW5,000!  So, at KRW2,000, this was a steal!  Adding to my tennis bag, I now carried root crops and fruits! Ha-ha-ha!

                              (Big sweet potatoes!)
                                         (A bakery)

A few meters down the sidewalk was a bakery selling glutinous bread which had sweet red bean paste inside. This bread was covered with white sugar and was just freshly made! And for four pieces at KRW2,000, the Korean lady vendor added one more pack to my handcarry baggage! Ha-ha-ha!

                   (A mandu shop still steaming their dumplings)
              (I got this red bean bread covered in sugar)

I decided for now, I was done. After playing tennis for two hours, I needed some breakfast, which I never thought I would find in this place. After all, I went to the Dongdaemun shopping area to look for a bag, and not for breakfast! Ha-ha-ha!



       (The cheapest,yet tastiest persimmons I ever bought!)

A couple of years ago, I went to the Dongmyo toy alley, which was accessible from Exit 6 of Dongmyo Station. Reading the map of this area, I realized that alley can also be accessed from the Dongdaemun Station. And since I was already here, I decided to visit the toy alley, not to buy any costume or toy, but to take a look once more at the place, where, on weekends, is full of kids and their parents looking for toys and other kids' stuff.

                         (A vegetable and fruit shop!)
From Dongdaemun Station's Exit 4, just walk for a few meters until you see a marker that has a colored balloon on top. Turn right into that alley and you'll see shop after shop with colorful displays of toys, costumes, masks, stickers, party favors and other fun stuff. 

It was already mid-morning when I found myself crossing the street toward the bus stop, walking away from Dongdaemun Station's row of bakeries, restaurants, fruit and vegetable stall, household wares and tools, and just anything you need for your home, for your kitchen and in my case, for my breakfast! Ha-ha-ha!

                                       (A fish shop)
           (The toys alley marker with a colored balloon!)

Walking around this area and buying these goodies were just as fun as my tennis this morning. I don't get a kick when I roam the aisles of a big supermarket, but today, the excitement of discovering mom-and-pop shops that make and sell yummy baked goods and other Korean delicacies added a little extra to my weekend, knowing that I can always visit this place and enjoy their recipes anytime.


                              (An umbrella store!)
                                        (Stickers!)
                                             (Boo!)

I have always said that I'd rather patronize these small and family-run shops than buying goods from big supermarkets and restaurant chains. Not only do these small restaurants and bakeries actually serve and sell good Korean dishes, snacks and delicacies, their prices are way cheaper, too. 

                                      (The toy alley!)

I was thinking of making this place part of my Saturday-morning-after-tennis tradition.  After all, my first experience in this neighborhood made my morning (and my breakfast!) special and it was a delightful visit worthy of a blog.

             (From Dongdaemun Station to my plate! 
                       Succulent persimmons!)

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome little area. I regret that I didn't explore the Dongdaemun area more.
    Also, those sweet potatoes sounds incredible.
    Many people don't like red bean. But man, oh, man those little doughnut things get me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! I hope to bump into you in the Dongdaemun area the next time you decide to explore it again. Hehe...

      Delete
  2. Great location! What city is this in? I'm still quite new and the neighborhoods do not sound familiar. I live in Deagu and have visited Seoul, but will be making multiple trips there while living here. Also, what part of the Philippines are you from? I'm going back home for a visit for Christmas in Makati.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Reese! The Dongdaemun area is in Seoul, which is just a few minutes from the City Hall area. I'm from Bacolod and am flying home next month, too! Have fun on your Christmas vacation!

      Delete
  3. I too, want to explore Dongdaemun Market. I am curious about those persimmons. They still puzzle me! How do I know when they are ripe? Do I eat it like an apple?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Persimmons are usually eaten ripe and best after chilling them in the fridge. Just cut them into half and scoop it out with a spoon. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. There is nothing you can't find in dongdaemun! And persimmons are also delicious. Sounds like you stocked up on lots of tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tay! Yes, I did go home with lots of goodies. They made my day. :-)

      Delete
  5. Dongdaemun continues to surprise me! I also prefer to frequent the mom and pop places as opposed to the big chains. Their food is just as good, if not better, and almost always cheaper. I think I'll have to take another trip up to Dongdaemun for more exploration. The toy alley looks interesting!
    Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle! The toy alley has cheaper Christmas decors and costumes as well. Do enjoy your visit at the toy alley!

      Delete
  6. I so love walking through the markets in Pohang, Seoul and now Jeju. There's always something interesting to buy.

    Those persimmons look so sweet~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nailah! Yes, these local markets are definitely better than those big-chain supermarkets. Real food, real people.

      Delete
  7. Ah! My comment didn't post! Basically, I agreed with you that Korean markets are awesome. So much tasty, cheap food available! Have you tried the little fish pastries filled with custard? They've got red bean ones as well, but the custard ones are the best.

    Wishing you many more successful market days in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the food looks so good! I often walk around randomly and end up buying several things and stuffing them in my bag. I haven't even bought persimmons yet this year, I really need to get on that! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I hope you'd be able to get your persimmons soon before they ran out. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. We really enjoy exploring that area as well! There is always so much to see, smell, and buy. Market shopping is some of the only shopping that my husband actually enjoys haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dongdaemun looks like a cool spot. I've not had the chance to visit yet but really liked your photos. I hope to get a chance to visit there soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duke! Hope you'd be able to swing by Dongdaemun soon.

      Delete
  11. Your post made me so hungry! Yum! I love finding great deals on food, especially locally grown fresh produce. I've heard about that toy street, but I've never been so I definitely want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I've already been madd craving Korean food since leaving, and now you have teased me, so thank you for that! I love that area of Dongdaemun, and I always would hit up the toy alley for Halloween props, makeup, and wigs. You've got to dig, but tons of great stuff there. And I totally am the same way, I prefer to go to the tiny places rather than the chains as well, especially when it came to my coffee! How can you pass up a quaint cafe for Starbucks?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love eating at markets because they food is fresh and tastes so yummy without costing an arm or a leg :) However I really dislike persimmons! Perhaps they will still grow on me.

    ReplyDelete