Saturday 27 July 2013

Manapla Puto, The Best Puto In The Philippines

Yes, we are talking about puto with an 'o', although I think it should have been spelled 'puttu', as it must have had originated in India where it was spelled that way to mean 'portioned'. But it seems its Philippine spelling has another meaning in the Spanish language.😁

Puto is actually a Philippine rice cake cooked through steaming and is very popular as a snack.

And every time I come home to an island in the middle of the Philippine archipelago, I always make sure I have pack of the best puto in the Philippines - the Manapla puto. Manapla is the town next to my homecity (if there's a hometown, could there be a homecity, too?). And ever since I was small, all the best puto and pinasugbu come from Manapla. I wonder why? I have no idea how Manapla's puto tradition started, although I want to learn why.😋

And there were occasions when I even brought a pack or two with me here in Seoul (read blog here) and for my friends in Manila to enjoy (read blog here). Of course, puto is best eaten when it's fresh right from the steamer of those who make them, and perhaps, the family that makes the best Manapla puto is Capulso's, whose puto shop is right at the entrance of Manapla

(Capulso's is a well-known name for 
this popular rice cake)

Years ago, when we made trips to Manapla to visit my grandmother's grave, we'd
always swing by Capulso's. And there were times when their putos were sold out! Yes, they're that popular! So, if you want a pack of puto from their store, you have to be there early in the morning as I think they only make a limited number of packs each day.

I also have tasted a few puto variations from a few provinces of Luzon, but for me, the best one is the puto of Manapla, whose texture is so very fine that a bite of warm puto (especially with melted butter) just melts in your mouth. And as a fellow Victoriahanon Paul describes it (he also grew up enjoying Manapla puto), Manapla puto is the 'mother of all putos'.😃


Capulso's make plain and cheese putos, and either flavor is just as good as the other. I will be going home again soon, and when I do, I will get both flavors.😎
        (Plain puto is white-colored; cheese is yellow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment