Sunday 23 December 2012

Philippine Travelblog: Silay City's El Ideal Restaurant and Native Delicacies

When I was a kid I remember reading a feature of Silay City (in Negros Occidental, Philippines) in Reader's Digest describing this city as the Paris of Negros because of its numerous artists and artisans. But what Reader's Digest failed to mention was that Silay City is also a haven of native Negrense delicacies which everyone loves until today. 

Well, I stopped reading Reader's Digest, but I haven't stopped craving for these delicacies. 

   (That's my favorite salab - the brown-colored                              delicacy wrapped in plastic.) 

         (Bitso-bitso is another favorite - cruller made of
         ground sticky rice and brown-sugar coating.)

Growing up in Negros Island in the Philippines, I remember an old lady vendor from Silay City, whom we called Tía Bodók (unfortunately, we didn't get to know her real name)

During the week, she would travel from Silay City and roam around my hometown, Victorias City, selling native delicacies. 

My two favorites from her wide basket were salab and dulce gatas! Salab is a fried pancake made with coconut strips with a gravy-colored spread with garlicky and semi-sweet flavor, while dulce gatas (also known as dulce de leche) is a very sweet dessert made from fresh carabao's milk. 😊

She would sell the delicacies by walking around the town center throughout the morning, balancing her wide, winnowing basket full of yummy goodies on her head. The basket was covered by a white, muslin cloth that she opened only when someone wanted to buy. By noon, all her goodies would have been sold out and she would go back home to Silay City.😍


But now, Tia Bodok is no longer around, and I miss all the salab and dulce gatas. Luckily, there are some shops which still sell dulce gatas but I hardly had seen one selling salab, until I dropped by one time at El Ideal in Silay City!

              (Cassave cake and buko pie, too!)


It's not just a store where you can buy all those barquillos, puto, and other baked goodies to bring home.

And you can enjoy their yummy salab, fresh lumpia and bitso-bitso sitting down (read blog here)!



And whenever I was flying to Manila from Silay and I had time, I would always drop by El Ideal to get some salab. And one time, I happily finished one inside the pre-departure area of Bacolod-Silay Airport, and another one in the plane (read blog here)! It was the best domestic in-flight meal I ever had!😃

                           (Ube-flavored puto!)

But one late afternoon, I dropped by El Ideal to get some salab, but unfortunately, walâ na! Salab was all sold out for the day!😢


But I cried not! There will be salab tomorrow and the next day...and the next! And perhaps, when I drop by again this week, I would finally get some while I am home in Negros Occidental. 😀 

        (They also have my mom's favorite, fresh lumpia!                         And sandwiches!)

And when that moment comes, I will offer the first bite as a tribute to Tía Bodók, wherever she may be. So, thank you, El Ideal, for letting me enjoy all those memories again of Tía Bodók, her salab, and other native delicacies.😍

(El Ideal Restaurant)

El Ideal is just next to the Silay City plaza, near the intersection of the road going to the Silay-Bacolod Airport. 

So, if you happen to land at that airport, or if you're catching a flight, you can always swing by El Ideal. Those yummy snacks and delicacies are just a few minutes away! 😀

2 comments:

  1. ah so that fried butong thingy is called salab, among my favorites together with bicho-bicho, lubid-lubid, masa podrida. one of my feel good memories is making a side trip from school (sometimes lang when just got our allowance hehehe) to el ideal for a treat of ice cream and chicken sandwich (thick cold chicken shreds and not-yet-melted butter) or the ever-fluffy angel cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to enjoy your childhood favorites when you come home soon.

      Delete