Sunday 5 February 2012

Snowin', Freezin' And Not Complainin'

It was the heaviest snowfall this winter so far. And the most freezing of the temperatures by far.

Tuesday started just fine. Hot choco and cereals. Ha-ha-ha!
But the Tuesday outside my window didn't. Cloudy, dark and very cold.

And then, right in the middle of the afternoon, the clouds got darker and heavier.


Suddenly, it was a free-for-all blizzard with snowflakes flying all over the city and blanketing everything white.


From my window, it looked like a ton of fresh snow was being scattered all over Yongsan-gu in preparation for snowboarding festival. 

But as the snow finally covered the neighborhood, no snowboarder was in sight. Only cars stalled in traffic.


For a moment, all this snow, which made everything looked fluffy white and nice, made me imagine myself enjoying a hot cup of chocolate by my fireplace. 
But with the thickness of the snow on the sidewalk, almost everyone was cursing the weather (and maybe the Christmas song, Let it snow).


Trying to get home was the most irritating part. Everyone was trying to rush, carefully navigating the sidewalks which were now slippery, wet and dirty.
Well, even with my shoes wet and a night in town ruined, I couldn't complain. I just reminded myself that the Inuits of the Northwest Territories of Canada endure winter nine months in a year. This is just a couple of days during the week.

I'm sure no one ever heard the Inuits complain about their weather. I guess no one should hear me either. 


"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...."

No comments:

Post a Comment