Friday 25 February 2011

A Pinoy At The Movies: 127 Hours

Before the Oscar night on Sunday, I had to rush and watch all the Oscar-nominated movies that I could. Unfortunately in Korea, most of the nominated art films are shown late (as in very late!). Would you believe that The King's Speech will be shown the week after the Oscar night?


Luckily, I was able to catch 127 Hours at my neighborhood CGV theater this week and Danny Boyle didn't disappoint. 


James Franco, who used to be Spiderman's best friend, plays Aron Ralston, the real-life mountaineer who got his right arm stuck between a canyon and big rock, and it took him 127 hours to cut himself loose from the rock.  He did it by cutting....what else, his arm! Yikes! 


I love the film, not because somebody was able to successfully perform surgery out there in the canyon using a blunt knife and without anaesthetic (!), but because Danny Boyle, the director, made hiking and amputating one's arm look amusing. Ha-ha-ha!  No wonder his film is nominated for six Oscars!


Yesterday, I discussed the film with my friend Roselyn, who lives in West Hollywood, and I told her I could almost play the part myself. Ha-ha-ha! Except that I'm not the kind who would part with a limb while hiking, and definitely, I'm not the kind of hiker who, when his water supply runs out, would drink his pee! Eew!


Yes, Franco ran out of food and drinks while stuck. He should have brought more Eng Bee Tin hopias and Coke to last for more than 127 hours! 


Although James Franco is not the favorite to win the Oscar (Colin Firth is), he truly deserves the nomination (and the Oscar hosting job with Anne Hathaway). This is his breakthrough movie. 


The best part of the movie was when 'Lovely Day' by Bill Withers was playing, with all the sceneries and the excitement building up to the hike. And the worst part? Well, there wasn't any 'worst part', only the 'very painful part'. You'd know what it is when you see it. I warn you, no anaesthetic! I'm sure you'd cringe. Ha-ha-ha!


The moral of the movie:  Bring lots of liquid and food when you hike; tell everyone where you're going, and most important, return your mom's calls or else, you'll lose an arm.


Till the next movie!

2 comments:

  1. I finally found someone who saw the movie..I wanted to see this movie but I was a little hesitant with the storyline...now I now it's worth watching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's worth watching...Just close your eyes before he you-know-what.

    ReplyDelete